Website Union Settlement
Union Settlement is an East Harlem anchor institution, serving families, children, youth, older adults and businesses for more than 127 years. As a proud member of the settlement house movement, our nonprofit organization is always innovating to meet our evolving community. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness, business support and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to realize their dreams.
Today, Union Settlement offers more than thirty programs and services, across nearly twenty East Harlem locations and serves more than 10,000 people and nearly 1,000 businesses every year. As a pillar of East Harlem, Union Settlement is a connector, convenor and advocate for the neighborhood and our network of partnerships. We have a dynamic, diverse and collaborative team of more than 350 who are committed to supporting our neighbors and growing the vitality and success of East Harlem. With new leadership, Union Settlement is growing! For more information about Union Settlement’s history, programs and mission, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Position: Sports Specialist
Department: Youth Services
Location: 1615 Madison Avenue
Reports to: Community School Director
Hours: Part Time; 2:00-5:30 pm
Rate: $20.00 hourly
Union Settlement Youth Services seeks a Sports Specialist to assist Community School P.S.108 programming. The ideal candidate must have experience in facilitating sports and outdoor activities. They must be able to adapt to the school’s cohort (K-8th grade students) and be comfortable working with urban and diverse populations. They should be engaging and passionate, as well as be confident in their classroom management skills. The Sports Specialist will be responsible for creating lesson plans, implementing them, and assessing student retention and areas for growth. They must also prioritize participant safety, mentorship, and inclusion. Other duties as assigned by the director.
- Create specific and varied lesson plans with clear objectives that address students’ needs and interests.
- Carry out lesson plans with thorough preparation and appropriate use of materials.
- Replace, clean, and store sports equipment periodically to ensure safety.
- Exercise behavior management techniques and regulate the classroom.
- Communicate regularly and appropriately with students to foster inclusion.
- Collaborate with feedback from Community School Director, students, parents, and school administration.
- Develop evaluation tools to assess student’s skills.
- Report student strengths and weaknesses to Community School Director.
- Encourage teamwork, physical activity, and healthy lifestyles among students through coaching and role modeling.
- Provide support and mentorship to students to improve social-emotional learning skills.
- Promptly report accidents and incidents.
- Must be available two/three days a week.
- A minimum of three years of experience working in a youth services program.
- Must have experience, passion, and knowledge of sports and education.
- Ability to adapt to the school’s cohort (K-8th grade students).
- Excellent classroom management skills.
- Must be organized, responsible, and adaptable.
- Excellent leadership, communication, and teamwork skills.
- Must be passionate about embodying Union Settlement values and goals.
- Ability to carry materials and sports equipment.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to perform multiple tasks effectively in a fast-paced, challenging, and constantly changing environment.
- The ability to perform at a high level.
UNION SETTLEMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.