Website Union Settlement
Union Settlement is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Position: Education Specialist (Computer/Digital Literacy)
Department: Adult Education
Reports to: Director of Adult Education
Rate: $35 hourly
Union Settlement Adult Education is seeking an Education Specialist (Computer/Digital Literacy) to provide in person support that reports to the Adult Education Director. The Education Specialist has the overall responsibility for the development and implementation of the academic curriculum, program compliance and quality assurance. The agency has embraced the concept of a fully integrated system of care for all consumers of service. This requires that all Agency staff assess the client’s needs holistically and see it as their responsibility to connect the client with services needed – internal or external to the agency, regardless of the door through which the consumer enters the system. The ideal candidate will be a hard-working professional able to undertake a variety of teaching approaches.
- Must be well organized.
- Provide engaging, interactive lessons that will teach life skills students the abilities that they need to succeed in society. Lessons such as basic money management, written and verbal communication skills, and filling out job applications are essential.
- Develop and / or utilize lesson plans that reflect an understanding of how best to teach reading, writing, grammar, listening, speaking, and technology skills in thematically organized and developmentally / culturally appropriate ways.
- Must be comfortable speaking in front of an audience.
- Must present material to students each day in an engaging and easy to understand manner.
- Complete monthly student assessments.
- Teach computer literacy, in a manner which builds student skill level and confidence.
- Manage attendance regularly, including documenting the classroom and submitting attendance for each class.
- Pre and post-test students using assessment tools.
- Ability to build an effective classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate for adult learners.
- Must implement a variety of instructional delivery methods, including group or individualized instructions.
- Must offer basic computer and mobile device skills, including website, internet, email, social media, privacy and internet safety.
- Must provide basic to advance software skills, including Microsoft Office, Word and Excel.
- Must assess student personality, interests and skills in order to identify career opportunities.
- Ability to instruct in a manner that develops confidence and encourages creativity.
- Ability to engage students who may have had no prior, or limited, access to technology.
- Must exhibit excellent assessment, documentation, organizational, and communication skills.
- Meet with Program Manager/Director providing updates on student and classroom progress.
- Maintain and ensure HIPAA confidentiality of records (daily).
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in Education preferred.
- Minimum of three years of experience teaching computer/digital literacy/skills.
- Minimum of three years of experience teaching English to immigrant community.
- Ability and interest in working with diverse populations.
- Knowledge of principles and practices related to adult literacy, preparing lesson plans, Microsoft Office, including Excel, and working knowledge of Microsoft Suite.
- Must be a self-starter, highly organized, patient and able to work well with others.
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Frequently lifts and/or moves up to 30 pounds.
UNION SETTLEMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.