Website Union Settlement
Union Settlement is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Position: Director of Economic Empowerment
Department: Economic Empowerment
Reports to: Associate Executive Director for Adult Programs
Hours: Full Time, Hybrid 3 days/week
Salary: $90,000 – $105,000
The Director of Economic Empowerment is responsible for Union Settlement’s Economic Empowerment Division. The Economic Empowerment Division is an expansion of the current Business Development Center to create broader opportunities for investing in and growing East Harlem businesses. This is an inaugural position that offers the opportunity to establish a new set of work, priorities and strategy. This is a senior staff level position, reporting to the Associate Executive Director for Adult Programs.
- Establish and set strategic vision for Union Settlement’s Division of Economic Empowerment, in collaboration with the Associate Executive Director for Adult Programs.
- Oversee the operations and functions of all Economic Empowerment activities, including grant management.
- Serve as ambassador for Union Settlement’s Economic Empowerment Division, including cultivating and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders, including elected officials, City Commissioners, and leaders of local institutions and cultural organizations.
- Develop and oversee legislative and advocacy agenda to support East Harlem businesses.
- Oversee development and execution of robust calendar of community events, marketing, communications and outreach.
- Support the Chief Executive Officer in the management of the East Harlem Community Alliance, a consortium of more than 200 East Harlem businesses and stakeholders that meets quarterly.
- Establish and manage performance indicators, develop a dashboard, provide regular performance reports.
- Manage and build team.
- Visits to local businesses and in-person activities should be expected.
- Additional duties as assigned by the Associate Executive Director for Adult Programs.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field and at least 5-10 years of experience in business/economic development.
- Demonstrated experience in community outreach and managing community relations.
- Preference for experience with public relations, marketing and media.
- Demonstrated knowledge of city, state, and federal funding sources for business development.
- Preference for experience with New York City’s Small Business Services and/or Economic Development Corporation grants.
- Experience with advocacy, community organization or legislative affairs.
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Suite.
- Preference for advanced skills in Excel, data analysis and creating data visualizations.
- Demonstrated ability to perform multiple tasks effectively in a fast-paced, challenging, and constantly changing environment.
- Knowledge of the East Harlem community preferred.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish strongly preferred).
UNION SETTLEMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.