Website Union Settlement
Union Settlement is an on-the-ground resource for the community.
Union Settlement is an East Harlem based nonprofit organization founded in 1895. For 128 years, Union Settlement has provided critical and innovative programming to children, youth, families, and older adults. As a pioneer of the settlement house movement, Union Settlement continues to meet the needs of the ever-changing East Harlem community through its core programs. Through these programs, New Yorkers gain opportunities, develop skills, and become empowered to pursue and achieve their dreams.
Today, Union Settlement provides services through 33 program sites in approximately 28 locations. Union Settlement’s current programmatic portfolio includes 8 core program areas: Early Childhood Education, Youth Services (including after school programs), Family Services (including the Family Enrichment Center and the Family Childcare Network), the East Harlem Community Partnership, Adult Education, Mental Health Services, Older Adult Centers, and Economic Development. Union Settlement serves more than 10,000 individuals and nearly 1,000 businesses every year.
Strengthened by a dynamic, diverse, and collaborative workforce of more than 350 employees, Union Settlement also serves as a connector, convener, and advocate for East Harlem and its partners. To learn more about Union Settlement, visit www.unionsettlement.org
Position: Education Specialist (Computer/Digital Literacy)
Department: Adult Education
Reports to: Director of Adult Education
Salary: $35.00 per hour
Positions Reporting to this Role: None
Union Settlement Adult Education is seeking an Education Specialist (Computer/Digital Literacy) to provide in-person support in computer lab-based classes. The Education Specialist reports to the Adult Education Director and has the overall responsibility of the development and implementation of the academic curriculum, program compliance and quality assurance. The agency has embraced the concept of a fully-integrated system of care for all consumers of service. This requires that all Agency staff assess the client’s needs holistically and see it as their responsibility to connect the client with services need – internal or external to the agency –regardless of the door through which the consumer enters the system. The ideal candidate will be a hard-working professional able to undertake a variety of teaching approaches. This person will be comfortable working with a high degree of attention to detail and discretion as well as incorporating new and effective ways to achieve better results.
- Provide an engaging, interactive lessons that will teach students digital skills that they need to succeed in society. Lessons focusing on basic computer and mobile device skills, including website, internet, email, social media, privacy and internet safety are essential.
- Must provide lessons covering basic to advance software skills, including Microsoft Office applications.
- Teach computer literacy and mobile device skills, in a manner that builds student skill level and confidence.
- Develop and/or utilize lesson plans that reflect an understanding of how best to teach reading, writing, grammar, listening, speaking, and technology skills in thematically organized and developmentally/culturally appropriate ways.
- Must be comfortable speaking in front of an audience.
- Identify program needs to the Program Director.
- Attend staff development training, program meetings and related conferences.
- Assist case manager/office administration with students follow up.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be well-organized.
- Must present material to students each day in an engaging and easy to understand manner.
- Maintain records of class attendance and student participation.
- Design and recommend individualized curricular needs for students.
- Meet with students to review progress and evaluate need for additional supports.
- Must implement a variety of instructional delivery methods, including group or individualized instructions
- Prepare monthly narrative progress reports for all students.
- Build an effective classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate for adult learners.
- Meet with Program Director providing updates on student and classroom progress.
- Maintain and ensure HIPAA confidentiality of records (daily).
- Bachelor’s degree, required; Master’s degree in Education, preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience teaching computer/digital literacy skills.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience teaching English to immigrant communities.
- Ability and interest in working with diverse populations.
- Ability to instruct in a manner that develops confidence and encourages creativity.
- Ability to engage students who may have had no prior, or limited, access to technology and/or language learning.
- Knowledge of principles and practices related to adult literacy, preparing lesson plans, and knowledge of various computer programs including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must be a self-starter, highly-organized, patient and able to work well with others.
- Bilingual in Spanish, preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Frequently lifts and/or moves up to 30 pounds.
CO R E CO M P E T E N C IE S
- Leading Others: Creates a sense of urgency throughout the organization on the importance of achieving outcomes. Inspires, influences, and enables team members to reach their goals
- Facilitating Change: Approaches challenges with creativity and flexibility. Demonstrates analytical thinking. Guides change to meet Union Settlement’s goals.
- Managing Performance: Evaluates and revises goals semi-annually with the team. Provides consistent supervision and documents performance highlights and concerns
- Applying and Developing Expertise: Embraces and leads the team to achieve milestones. Seeks and supports professional development opportunities for team members. Manages finances and budgets effectively
- Communicating and Collaborating: Listens well and actively engages with others with honesty and integrity and holds team accountable to the same standard
Union Settlement’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Commitment
Union Settlement is an equal opportunity employer. They do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.