Website Union Settlement
Union Settlement is an East Harlem based nonprofit organization founded in 1895. For 128 years, Union Settlement has provided critical and innovative programming to children, youth, families, and older adults. As a pioneer of the settlement house movement, Union Settlement continues to meet the needs of the ever-changing East Harlem community through its core programs. Through these programs, New Yorkers gain opportunities, develop skills, and become empowered to pursue and achieve their dreams.
Today, Union Settlement provides services through 33 program sites in approximately 28 locations. Union Settlement’s current programmatic portfolio includes 8 core program areas: Early Childhood Education, Youth Services (including after school programs), Family Services (including the Family Enrichment Center and the Family Childcare Network), the East Harlem Community Partnership, Adult Education, Mental Health Services, Older Adult Centers, and Economic Development. Union Settlement serves more than 10,000 individuals and nearly 1,000 businesses every year.
Strengthened by a dynamic, diverse, and collaborative workforce of more than 350 employees, Union Settlement also serves as a connector, convener, and advocate for East Harlem and its partners. To learn more about Union Settlement, visit www.unionsettlement.org
Position: Director of People Operations (Labor relations and Compliance)
Department: People Operations (Human Resources)
Reports to: Chief People Officer
Salary: $90,000 -$100,000
Location: Full-time; Hybrid role (up to 2 days WFH)
Positions Reporting to this Role: People Operations Specialists and interns
Come join us as we build our People Operations Team and make your mark on collectively creating the next level of Union Settlements’ employee experience laser-focused on “moments that matter” and an irresistible culture.
The Director of People Operations, Compliance & Labor Relations (DCL) will lead the people service delivery team focused on compliance and all labor relations ensuring our programs and services are well managed, efficient, and deliver the needed support to employees to be successful. They will foster relationships with department leadership and provide counsel and guidance on issues relevant to department goals and objectives; guide and support efforts to increase employee and participant satisfaction, as well as the overall strength of the workplace. They will be key in providing guidance on matters involving performance, conflict prevention and dispute resolution, and employment practices and policy. The DCL will also manage a team of direct reports to include People Operations Specialists and seasonal interns.
The role will be critical in executing our people initiatives, providing great client support, and driving HR functional excellence and process improvements. If you are an experienced Director of HR or experienced HR Manager looking for your next career step who is passionate about upholding a culture that is fair, respectful, and inclusive, we’d love to hear from you!
- Provides expert consultative, problem solving, thought leadership, and employment compliance services to managers, employees, Senior and Leadership Teams regarding HR policies and practices.
- Using competitive trends and data insights, collaboratively drives organizational effectiveness and people operations programs across the enterprise.
- Develops and/or advises on the development of frameworks, policies, and programming that creates a culture of belonging in which employees feel safe, valued, and empowered to bring their full selves, their unique perspectives, and new ideas.
- Becomes an effective, trusted, and credible advisor to leaders on people, culture and engagement, and employee-centric programs to support company purpose, mission, and values.
- Remains updated on human resources trends and recommended improvements to agency employment policies and procedures consistent with “best practices”.
- Participates on committees, perform special projects, and other duties based on organizational needs.
Labor Relations & Culture
- Manages all employee relations, including grievance proceedings initiated by DC 1707 (Local 205 and Local 95 and CSA) union employees.
- Develops positive relationships with union representatives and serves as a liaison between union, employee, and organization; manages grievance proceedings and consults with legal.
- Manages employee separations, terminations, stay and exit interviews, and employee surveys.
- Manages employee evaluation process, including periodic review of performance evaluation forms and procedures. Provide periodic training to supervisors on conducting performance evaluations as needed.
- Evolves talent management programs including employee feedback and performance process, goal setting, and engagement programs.
- Deploys learning resources and strategies that foster the continuous, sustainable development of talent.
- Identify, cultivate and coach high-potential talent through intentional career journeys, cross-enterprise experiences (e.g. rotations or talent moves), and leadership competency development.
- Applies techniques and tools at the individual level that enable reflection, insight, learning and application of new and more effective perspectives and behaviors.
- Creates onboarding/off boarding surveys and analyzes results to identify areas of strengths and weakness.
- Identifies learning opportunities that support new hire’s onboarding experience, retention, and engagement.
- Develops policy and guidance memoranda to drive increased compliance in collaboration with the Chief People Officer and Director People Operations (Employee Experience and Talent).
- Establishes a standardized review and approval protocol; ensures data integrity and accuracy.
- Studies both existing and new legislation and advises management on necessary actions to ensure compliance with local, state and federal legal requirements.
- Develops and maintains Human Resources e-filing system, including confidential employee personnel files in conjunction with People Operations Specialists; develops and maintains tools and processes to scale function.
- Identifies and manages key HR data and important organizational trends to monitor and improve performance, mitigate risks, and submit city, state, and funding surveys, audits and reporting. (EEO Data, OSHA, Workforce Survey, Demographic Data, Disability Certificates, invoicing, etc.).
- Keeps a pulse on current labor relations trends, regulatory requirements, and HR practices to recommend programs and improve employee experience.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree with specialization in Human Resources, Business Management, Organizational Development or related field; equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered with extensive specialized experience.
- Minimum of (8) years of progressive HR experience, with prior experience in a management capacity; HR credential and/or professional certification is a plus.
- Expertise in employee relations and compliance and two (2) or more other areas desired: policy design, total rewards, benefits, talent management, people analytics, learning and development, strategic planning.
Able to work independently and under pressure to meet deadlines in a fast paced, challenging, and dynamic environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of HR policies and federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, including but not limited to, EEO, ADA, ADEA, FLSA, Title VII, and FMLA.
- Excellent writing and computer skills and proficiency with Excel, Word, and PowerPoint, ATS/HRIS – ADP Workforce Now, and training platforms.
- Ability to set direction, develop and lead learning while advancing strategies that improve user adoption and manage end user expectations.
- Ability to handle matters of confidentiality with utmost tact and diplomacy; ethical decision making.
- Strong consultation and negotiation skills with the ability to seek out information and provide quality advice.
- Familiarity/working knowledge with DOH, DOE, DYFTA, OMH, PETS, SCR, Background Checks, and/or clearance databases and processes ideal.
- Experience in data tracking, analysis, trend forecasting and using metrics to identify vulnerabilities and drive improvements in the employee experience.
- An appreciation for the needs of the East Harlem community and the importance of the social service work performed by Union Settlement.
- Strategist: Defines and delivers against strategy, improves user experience, and drives operational efficiencies to obtain measurable organizational value.
- Leading Others: Creates a sense of urgency throughout the organization on theimportance of achieving outcomes. Inspires, influences, and enables team and colleagues to reach their goals.
- Facilitating Change: Approaches challenges with creativity and flexibility. Demonstrates analytical thinking. Guides change to meet Union Settlement’s goals.
- Managing Performance: Evaluates and revises goals semi-annually with the team. Provides consistent supervision and documents performance highlights and concerns.
- Applying and Developing Expertise: Embraces and leads the team to achieve milestones. Seeks and supports professional development opportunities for team members. Manages finances and budgets effectively
- Organization: Ability to manage several projects at one time and prioritize tasks.
- Client Focus: Shows interest and understanding of the needs and expectations of internal and external customers; makes employees a primary focus of one’s actions.
- Business Partner: Serves as a trusted advisor to leaders within the organization and employees at all levels.
- Communicating and Collaborating: Listens well and actively engages with others with honesty and integrity and holds themselves accountable to the same standard.
Union Settlement’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Commitment
Union Settlement is an equal opportunity employer. They do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.