Website Union Settlement
Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org
Position: English as a Second Language (ESOL) Instructor (Substitute)
Department: Adult Education
Reports to: Director of Adult Education
Hours: As Needed/Substitute
Position Summary: The English as a Second Language Instructor will develop a curriculum that takes an overall approach to English study and focuses on a specific aspect of language use such as teaching students basic English skills like listening, reading, writing and speaking.
- Design, implement, and recommend academic curriculum needs for students.
- Meet with Director of Adult Education to establish and review the academic learning curriculum of the program.
- Research and develop new resources and materials to enhance the teaching curricula.
- Provide class instruction in ESL.
- Administer BEST PLUS tests at intake and regularly thereafter to monitor and document participant progress.
- Maintain Milestone performance files for each participant.
- Maintain and submit daily participant attendance. Follow-up with participants as needed to ensure their continued participation. Maintain office hours.
- Prepare and submit monthly reports on the participants and the classes.
- Prepare, Review, coordinate, and submit weekly Educational Lesson Plans.
- Provide progress reports as needed.
- Attend Staff development training, program meetings and related conferences.
- Assist students with their academic projects, homework and provide enrichment programming services.
- Additional duties as assigned by the Director of Adult Education.
- Master’s degree in ESOL with minimum two-year teaching experience or
- BA/BS in ESOL and minimum three years educational teaching experience.
- Experience working in classroom setting.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Experience with leading large and small group instruction.
- Computer literate, including experience with all Microsoft Office.
- Experience in developing and implementing curricula preferred.
- Classroom management and overall strong organizational skills preferred.
- BEST PLUS certified.
Please send Cover Letter, Resume, Salary Requirements, and References to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate ESOL Instructor (Substitute) in subject of e-mail.
UNION SETTLEMENT ASSOCIATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com