Website Union Settlement
Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org
Position: Computer/Digital Literacy Education Specialist
Department: Adult Education
Reports to: Director of Adult Education
Position Summary: The ideal candidate will be a hard-working professional able to undertake a variety of teaching approaches. This person will be comfortable working with a high degree of attention to detail and discretion as well as incorporating new and effective ways to achieve better results.
• Provide engaging and interactive lessons that will teach life skills students the abilities that they need to succeed in society. Lessons needs to include basic money management, written and verbal communication skills, and filling out job applications.
• Develop and/or utilize lesson plans that reflect an understanding of how best to teach reading, writing, grammar, listening, speaking, and technology skills in thematically organized and developmentally/culturally appropriate ways.
• Teach computer literacy, in a manner which builds student skill level and confidence. Lessons are to include basic computer and mobile device skills, Microsoft Office, website, internet, email, social media, privacy and internet safety.
• Teach materials to students in an engaging and easy to understand manner.
• Complete monthly student assessments to include pre-test and post-test for students using assessment tools.
• Manage attendance regularly, including documenting classroom and submitting attendance for each class.
• Implement a variety of instructional delivery methods, including group or individualized instructions.
• Assess student personality, interests, and skills in order to identify career opportunities.
• Provide excellent assessment, documentation, organizational, and communication skills.
• Meet with Program Director on a consistent basis to provide updates on student and classroom progress.
• Additional duties as assigned by the Director of Adult Education or Associate Executive Director of Adult Programs.
• Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in Education preferred.
• Minimum of three years of experience teaching English and computer skills.
• Ability and interest in working with diverse populations.
• Ability to speak comfortably in an audience.
• Ability to engage students who may have had no prior, or limited, access to technology.
• Knowledge of principles and practices related to adult literacy, preparing lesson plans, Microsoft Office, including Excel, and working knowledge of Microsoft Suite.
• Must be a self-starter, highly organized, patient and able to work well with others.
• Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Please send Cover Letter, Resume, Salary Requirements, and References to: email@example.com.
Please indicate Computer/Digital Literacy Education Specialist in subject of e-mail.
UNION SETTLEMENT ASSOCIATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org