Website Union Settlement
Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Position: Family Assistant
Department: Early Childhood Education
Reports to: Educational/Center Director
Hours: Full Time
Salary: $30,000 – $34,948
Under the supervision of Center Director, The Family Assistant is to be familiar with all aspects of the Union Settlement Early Childhood Education program including the Head Start Performance Standards and all program plans and policies. The Family Assistant must have an awareness of the philosophy and goals of the program in order to help the parents become active advocates for their children.
The Family Assistant is assigned to a center and are responsible for delivery of services to families in four component areas: Social Services, Parent Involvement, Health and Nutrition, and Mental Health.
· Recruits and enrolls children as outlined in the Social Services component plan.
· Ensures that all documents are in place in the child’s records.
· Completes all forms necessary for the CACFP nutrition program.
· Completes a Family History Development Plan/Family Partnership Agreement.
· Conducts a home visit twice a year to each assigned family and on an as needed basis.
· Ensures that parents are aware of available resources and makes appropriate referrals for children and families to and from other agencies.
· Responsible for maintaining current and accurate records as required by the program and for insuring their confidentiality.
· Monitors daily attendance of the children in the assigned center.
· Provides supportive counseling and assess if/when crisis intervention is needed.
· Identifies and assesses family and individual needs for addressing appropriate referrals and services.
· Obtains resources and information for appropriate referrals.
· Collaborates with center employees on planning and implementing the parent orientation, open house, class committee meetings, and parent education programs.
· Recruits parents as volunteers in all aspects of the center.
· Maintains parent bulletin boards and/or parent room with current information.
· In collaboration with the Site Director and Deputy Director, develops and distributes the center newsletter.
· In collaboration with the Site Director, plans parent designed activities and fundraisers.
· Maintain health records and Health Tracking System.
· Responsible for obtaining medical consents and copies of insurance cards.
· Collaborates with Children’s Aid Society on days of assigned screenings.
· Ensures that child and family make scheduled appointments. Including escorting or arranging escort service for children whose parents are unable to go the appointment with their child.
· Acts as a liaison between health care providers, parents, teachers, and site directors.
· Works closely with consultants on identifying and assessing children with special needs.
· Acts as an advocate for parents within Union Settlement and with outside agencies..
· Works closely with nutritionist on follow-ups.
· Attends mandated team and agency meetings.
· Additional tasks as assigned by the Center Director, Deputy Director, and/or Director of Early Childhood Education.
· Bachelor’s preferred; Associate’s required.
· Experience working with children and families.
· Bilingual Spanish/English required.
· Must have excellent computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft excel, access and word.
Please send Cover Letter, Resume, Salary Requirements, Writing Samples, and References to: email@example.com. Please indicate Family Assistant in subject of e- mail.
UNION SETTLEMENT ASSOCIATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org