Website The New York Academy of Medicine
About The New York Academy of Medicine:
The New York Academy of Medicine is a leading voice for innovation in public health. Throughout our 175-year history, we have uniquely championed bold changes to the systems that perpetuate health inequities and keep all communities from achieving good health. Today, this work includes innovative research, programs, and policy initiatives that distinctively value community input for maximum impact. Combined with our trusted public programming, historic library, and with the support of our esteemed Fellows and Members, NYAM’s legacy as a public health leader continues.
Marketing & Communications is responsible for management of the NYAM brand, developing and implementing organization-wide and individual unit strategic marketing and public relations initiatives as well as management of all digital properties including websites, social media and email. As an integral part of the public engagement efforts of NYAM, Marketing & Communications also contributes to creating engaging events and experiences for NYAM constituencies under the direction of the Senior Vice President of Public Engagement. Marketing & Communications also supports growth and management of key strategic alliances that further NYAMs mission.
The Communications Manager fills a critical operational role in the development and execution of departmental annual goals, management of day-to-day operations and management of the NYAM brand/voice across channels. The Communications Manager is a proven content creator and project manager and serves as primary owner of promotional, media and social media content and outreach.
The ideal candidate has content development, project management, editorial/proofing, media relations, event marketing and digital communications expertise. This position reports to the Director, Communications and Strategic Alliances.
All NYAM staff currently work on a hybrid remote and in-office schedule. This is subject to change.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Content Development: Function as NYAM’s primary editor and content generator as required for ongoing outreach efforts including newsletters, emails, website(s) content, press releases and other ad hoc NYAM publications and promotional materials. Primary responsibility for NYAM voice and messaging across channels.
- Strategic Contributor: Plays a critical role in contributing to setting department goals and in collaboration with the Director and Associate Creative Director for execution and priority setting to deliver on goals. The individual has a visible expert profile amongst NYAM colleagues and is the leading in-house editor/proofer and social media expert and provides leadership to cross-departmental editorial planning.
- Project Management: Oversees and collaborates on day-to-day planning and execution of digital outreach, social media and public relations efforts. Establishes/implements project management best practices maximizing use of new or existing tools (e.g. Teamwork, Excel, Meltwater, Buffer, CMS, etc.) to keep initiatives on track.
- Visibility: Manage outreach strategies for promoting NYAM work/events including ownership of NYAM’s media database/lists/wire service and outreach.
- Collaboration: Functions as a key collaborator with internal communications team members, NYAM colleagues, and on occasion external partners, to advise on communications best practices and to ensure consistency of message, brand, and image. Provides backup to Sr. Web Producer for web updates and email execution as needed.
- Other: Staff Academy public programming in-person and public events when necessary, collaborate on occasional intradepartmental initiatives and additional tasks/responsibilities as assigned.
- Collaborative spirit and demonstration of successful leadership of cross-department initiatives.
- Knowledge and experience in the use of various marketing platforms (i.e., paid advertising, direct and email marketing, social media, web/interactive marketing, multi-media, etc.).
- Hands-on experience running an organization’s social media accounts.
- Demonstrated experience with New York media (health, science, arts & culture preferred).
- Ability to think strategically and translate strategies into tactics.
- Strong verbal, writing, editing and proofing skills.
- Excellent project management skills, with a demonstrated ability to consistently prioritize and manage multiple tasks and deliver high quality outcomes on tight timelines.
- Experience working with project management software.
- Bi-lingual abilities and public health/healthcare industry knowledge are a plus.
- Media placements, writing samples and link(s) to candidate-managed public-facing social media account(s) required.
Education and Experience:
- 5-7 years of content development/editorial and promotional experience
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or related field preferred.
To apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter
The New York Academy of Medicine is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.