Website The New York Academy of Medicine
About The New York Academy of Medicine:
The New York Academy of Medicine (NYAM) tackles the barriers that prevent every individual from living a healthy life. NYAM generates the knowledge needed to change the systems that prevent people from accessing what they need to be healthy such as safe and affordable housing, healthy food, healthcare and more. Through its high-profile programming for the general public, focused symposia for health professionals, and its base of dedicated Fellows and Members, NYAM engages the minds and hearts of those who also value advancing health equity to maximize health for all.
NYAM seeks an experienced leader to develop and execute a broad human resource (HR) strategy in support of the mission and strategic direction of the Academy, that fosters a culture that encourages and supports diversity and inclusion, opportunity for growth, and creativity among staff. Knowledge of benefits, compensation, recruitment, performance management, training and development is essential, with an important emphasis on driving positive change to achieve an organizational culture of equity that values diversity, performance and teamwork.
Strong management, communication, problem-solving, and collaborative skills are required. A proven track record of success in leading cultural transformation and organizational self-assessment with an equity and justice lens. In addition, experience in administering benefits programs and, leading policy development and implementation for employee recruitment, orientation, training and development are required. Successful candidates will have experience in traditional HR periodic benchmarking of compensation, benefits and employment policies, in conducting employee surveys, maintaining knowledge of industry trends and best practices, and ensuring compliance with employment law and regulations, as well. NYAM seeks a dynamic, forward looking human resources expert conversant in HR best practices and use of technology.
Reporting to the President and as a member of the Executive Leadership Team, the SVP will be responsible for managing all human resources and culture transformation activities for NYAM which has a $15 million annual budget and roughly 75 staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure overall human resources management practices are in keeping with NYAM philosophy, goals and objectives, including diversity and inclusion goals.
- As a member of the Executive Leadership Team, serve as a key advisor on diversity and inclusion, spearheading new initiatives and practices that will further enhance the organization’s commitment to a strong, inclusive and engaged workforce.
- Direct periodic review of policies and procedures across NYAM to ensure that discrimination of any kind is not tolerated; work with relevant staff committees to encourage constructive dialogue and participation so all views are respectfully considered.
- Oversee all required training and recommend additional training to enhance NYAM’s workforce capabilities and a strong, inclusive and engaged organization.
- Develop and maintain policies, benefits, employee relations and training initiatives and procedures to support a positive and healthy work environment for NYAM employees.
- Oversee management of employee benefits and pension plans including 403(b) and 457(b) retirement plan regulations.
- Manage recruitment, hiring, promotion and termination of employees in a legal and timely manner.
- Counsel managers and employees on employee relations issues, performance and disciplinary matters.
- Oversee NYAM’s performance management program and make recommendations for staff development.
- Develop and monitor human resources budget to ensure that the unit operates within the approved budget.
- Develop short- and long-range plans to achieve organizational goals and objectives.
- Work collaboratively to ensure that payroll and benefits administration are well coordinated between human resources and finance and accomplished in a timely way.
- Create and maintain accurate documentation for benefit and pension plans, and policies and procedures.
- Participate on committees and special projects as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A highly experienced, well rounded human resources professional with at least 10 years of progressively responsible experience is required.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with all levels of NYAM staff and outside vendors are essential.
- Experience working in non-profit organizations preferred.
- Knowledge of New York City, State and other applicable laws and regulatory requirements
Education and/or Experience:
- A master’s degree is preferred or a bachelor’s degree with extensive relevant experience required.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Familiarity with human resources information systems linked to the payroll system. Experience with ADP Workforce Now (v. 13) preferred.
- Directly supervise one staff person in the Human Resources Department and oversees relevant committees and employee work groups.
The work environment is an office although NYAM is currently operating remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The New York Academy of Medicine is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.