Website The New York Academy of Medicine
About The New York Academy of Medicine:
The New York Academy of Medicine (NYAM) tackles the barriers that prevent every individual from living a healthy life. NYAM generates the knowledge needed to change the systems that prevent people from accessing what they need to be healthy such as safe and affordable housing, healthy food, healthcare and more. Through its high-profile programming for the general public, focused symposia for health professionals, and its base of dedicated Fellows and Members, NYAM engages the minds and hearts of those who also value advancing health equity to maximize health for all.
The Finance office is responsible for all of the accounting and business functions of the Academy, including financial reporting, planning and analysis, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll among others. Finance also works with each department in the development of budgets and budget projections in consultation with the Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration.
This position, reporting to the Director of Finance, is responsible for accounting, supporting audit efforts, tracking awarded grants, financial analysis, budgeting and forecasting. The incumbent will prepare periodic budget vs. actual analyses, will monitor and analyze research grant spending and plans for future spending, and will prepare financial reports for funding agencies. The Accounting Manager will work closely with other Finance staff and Academy division and executive leadership.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accounting & Audit Support at the agency level including monthly grant expense allocations, period-end close schedules and reconciliations, and schedules for audits and the Form 990.
- Department Support, acting as the Finance liaison for a portfolio of departments to assist with budget development, analysis, and other financial matters.
- Financial Reporting to internal management and funders, and GL maintenance to add new grant codes and develop report formats.
- Budgeting annually for a portfolio of NYAM departments by collaborating with department heads, and inputting grant budgets in the GL system throughout the year.
- Cross train with fellow NYAM Finance staff to ensure continuity and development.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned.
- Previous experience accounting for grants and contracts (Government, Foundations and Private).
- Hands-on proficiency with accounting systems, particularly report development, journal entries, account setup.
- Demonstrated success working collaboratively and handling complex accounting issues.
- At least 10 years of related experience
- Accounting degree
- A high degree of discretion
- Familiarity with government grant guidelines, submissions, and oversight.
- Experience using Abila MIP accounting system.
- Public Accounting audit experience
The New York Academy of Medicine is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Please submit cover letter and resume for consideration.
To apply for this job please visit workforcenow.adp.com.