Randall's Island Park Alliance, Inc
Job: Natural Areas Restoration Coordinator (1)
Department: Natural Areas
Job Type: Year-Round; 40 hours per week; Exempt
Salary Range: $45,000 – $55,000
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package following 60-day introductory period (health insurance, paid time off, etc.)
Work Location: Randall’s Island Park, New York, NY 10035
The Natural Areas Restoration Coordinator will report directly to the Director of Environmental Programming and work with other team members to develop Randall’s Island Parks’ 20 acres of restored natural areas. The Restoration Coordinator will also assist in developing and overseeing volunteer events and public programming, as needed. This position will be required to work on-site and will approximately consist of 80% outdoor field work and will be 20% research/administrative based.
Work under the oversight of the Director of Environmental Programming to develop and implement adaptive strategies for supporting native habitats located within restored sites.
Lead team members to ensure sites are properly maintained, including eradicating noxious weeds, litter removal, seasonal maintenance, and adaptive management.
Assist in the design and support of proposals for natural areas development.
Assist the Director of Environmental Programming in leading, training, and educating staff, students, and community groups.
Provide project reports to the Director of Environmental Programming.
Provide GIS services and accurate information for management and reporting.
Develop public outreach and programming materials.
Assist other departments when and if needed.
Maintain ongoing communication with the Director of Environmental Programming.
Other general tasks as assigned by the Director of Environmental Programming
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
· B.A. from an accredited college or university in environmental/natural sciences and two or more years of experience in ecological restoration and landscape maintenance of native habitats OR a high school diploma (or equivalent) and equivalent environmental restoration certificate/coursework with six (6) years of experience in natural areas restoration as a landscaper, researcher, environmental educator or related position.
· Experience working outdoors in strenuous weather conditions.
· Experience leading stewardship groups and/or work crews.
· Willing to work in all types of weather, under strenuous conditions.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Highly motivated, able to manage, and prioritize tasks.
· Ability to perform heavy physical labor (able to lift 50 pounds) daily.
· Experience with tracking, monitoring, analyzing, consulting, and reporting on projects and programs.
· Experience leading educational/volunteer/community groups.
· Experience & ability to safely operate and maintain small hand-held power tools and other field equipment.
· Experience in environmental monitoring/data base management.
· Knowledge of computer basics (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
· Flexibility to work evenings and weekends.
· Ability to shift priorities and focus, when needed.
· Motivated and punctual, able to work both independently and as part of a team.
Detail-oriented, with considerable attention to order and cleanliness.
Excellent communication, leadership, and interpersonal skills.
Valid Driver License.
· A certificate, degree, and/or coursework in ecology, horticulture, environmental science, or related fields
· Experience in GIS, program development, restoration practices and field research.
· Certified NYS pesticide applicator or technician
· Detail-oriented, with considerable attention to order and cleanliness
· Excellent communication, leadership, and interpersonal skills
To apply for this job please visit www.randallsisland.org.