Website Union Settlement
Union Settlement is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a
passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in
1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our
neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350
staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our
neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more
information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Position: Program Manager
Department: Economic Development
Reports to: Director of Economic Development
Hours: Full Time (35 hours weekly)
Union Settlement’s Economic Development Department is seeking a hard working, energetic and
committed individual, with a capacity to work both independently and in a team environment.
This individual will work closely within a team to develop ideas, programming and solutions that
act as a catalyst in developing equitable community wealth. By advocating and supporting small
businesses and collaborating with local stakeholders this individual will support the team in
creating a self-sustainable ecosystem that is driven towards greater financial health outcomes and
aims to ultimately end generational poverty in East Harlem.
Program Manager Responsibilities
Assist the Director of Economic Development with the following:
● Design, implement, and monitor the success of economic development programs such as
business attraction, small business assistance, commercial revitalization, business
retention and district marketing.
● Create surveys, collect, analyze and report on data received to improve programming.
● Prepare presentations to small businesses and other community stakeholders.
● Develop and maintain partnerships with local elected officials, anchor institutions and
● Coordination, preparation and implementation of all economic development events and
● Preparation of progress reports for internal and external use.
● Provide technical assistance to small business owners to improve profitability.
● Work closely with the communications department to conduct all marketing initiatives.
● Prepare written and oral reports.
● Prepare agendas for community meetings.
● Work closely and collaboratively with other community groups and alliances.
● Provide positive, effective leadership and supervision to staff and consultants.
● Prepare and manage financial reports.
● Other duties as assigned.
● English/Spanish bilingual preferred.
● BA/BS degree and 2 years’ experience working with businesses preferred.
● Strong oral, written, organization and problem-solving skills.
● Ability to make oral presentations to community stakeholders and officials.
● Familiarity with East Harlem businesses preferred.
● Ability to manage multiple tasks.
● Proficient computer skills, including proficiency in Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
● Community organizing experience preferred.
● Demonstrating active listening and interpersonal skills.
● Working collaboratively with local governments and partners.
● Requires problem solving skills, and independent judgment.
● Special events may require working hours during evening, weekend and/or holidays.
● Interpersonal skills in a group setting or in a one-to-one situation.
● Please Send Cover Letter, Resume, References and Salary Requirements
● Please indicate Program Manager/Economic Development in the subject of email.
UNION SETTLEMENT ASSOCIATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com