Hope Community, Inc. is a dynamic, not-for-profit community based neighborhood preservation corporation located in East Harlem. Hope Community procures financing for, and constructs, markets, and manages a diversified housing portfolio for households with special needs, and for low and moderate income. Hope Community currently manages over 1,530 apartments through its participation in various federal, state, city, and private programs.
The position of Building Superintendent reports directly to Assistant Facilities Manager and will also receive work direction from the Director of Maintenance.
This position directly supervises the Porter assigned to the buildings. Each Building Superintendent also participates as a support to his/her Property Management Team in collaboration with their team.
This is a multiple incumbent position, and each incumbent has full accountability for property maintenance for their Hope Community building sites.
Work Oversight and Supervision
· Provide day-to-day supervision of the assigned building and all its surrounding property, and of the porter to ensure that the building is continuously in full working order.
· Directly complete work or oversee completion by porter, contractors, or vendors for all work order requests, to ensure that work orders:
· are processed and completed in a high-quality manner;
· are on time;
· comply with applicable regulations and government requirements;
· Resolve directly with Assistant Facilities Manager, and on an as needed basis, with Property Manager in difficult or sensitive maintenance issues in relation to assigned property.
· Maintain effective working relationships with contractors and vendors.
· Oversee and review completion of work order assignments by contractors and vendors, (e.g., independent plumbers, roofers, electricians, exterminators, etc.) to ensure that the work performed is of highest quality, on time, in compliance with applicable regulations and government requirements. Notify Assistant Manager of contractor or vendor’s work quality before final sign-off on work order completion.
· Provide input to the Assistant Facilities Manager on the performance of the Porter, including information on attendance, sickness, substance abuse, behavioral issues, etc., to assist in the performance evaluation process.
· In coordination with Assistant Facilities Manager, and Porter ensure that there is coverage of assigned property during weekends, evenings, and holidays.
· Use yardi maintenance mobile app, and yardi inspection app.
· Provide full assistance and support as requested to the designated Property Management Team to ensure that Hope Community Inc. through the work of this team,is providing the highest quality of integrated and coordinated services to leaseholders and tenants.
· Provide high quality services, to internal and external Hope customers
· Conduct and complete any special projects assigned by the Assistant Facilities Manager, Property Manager, or the Director of Maintenance.
· Enforce Hope Community policies and building rules and regulations consistently inside and outside the property with regard to leaseholders and tenants.
· As needed, stand in for the Porter to maintain a continuous flow of maintenance services to all leaseholders and tenants.
· As needed, provide maintenance oversight and administer related responsibilities assigned to other Building Superintendents to ensure ongoing operations during vacations and sick-leaves.
Specific Maintenance Responsibilities
General building Maintenance
• Provide 24 hour per day coverage for emergencies.
• Provide access to buildings for contractors or vendors, meter readers, inspectors, etc.
• Report to Assistant Facilites Mananger on:
• serious repair problems,
• supply needs (e.g., garbage bags, light bulbs).
• Report to Property Manager on:
• problems with tenants or leaseholders,
• Building security.
• Trip and fall.
Plumbing and Heating
• Fix or replace new toilets and sinks (installation).
• Change washers, seats and faucet valves, as needed.
• Repack faucet valves and radiator valves as needed.
• Remove and replace defective air valves on radiators and steam pipes.
• Unclog waste line stoppage of tubs, sinks, and toilets and the main sewer lines in buildings.
• Repair leaky toilets.
• Stop leaks from exposed pipes or shut-off valves to prevent further water damage.
• Replace shower heads, bars and rods.
• Adjust gas stoves, burners, and pilots except automatic controls, and make minor stove repairs.
• Connect new stoves, and inspect exposed gas lines for leaks.
• Replace defective wall switches; pull chain switches, and wall receptacles.
• Replace light bulbs in public areas.
• Replace fuses and light fixtures. Change ballasts.
• Perform minor repairs of wooden doors and wooden window sashes.
• Install weather stripping on windows.
• Replace wooden window stops, door stops, and door saddles.
• Replace hardware on windows.
• Repair holes in floors
• Perform repairs on cabinet drawers and shelves.
• Repair holes in baseboards.
• Remove broken windows and replace broken balances.
• Replace or adjust door hinges.
Plastering and Painting
• Repair holes in ceiling and walls with sheet rock, joint tape, and joint compound, or with plasterboard wire lath and plaster.
• Scrape, sand, prime, and paint small areas.
• Paint vacant apartments
• Paint in touch up areas
• Install door knobs and spindles.
• Remove and replace locks and latches on doors and mailboxes.
• Lubricate locks and latches.
• Change cylinders (not including tenant-installed locks, for which HCI is not responsible).
• Drill out any door cylinder in building
• Wall tile patches.
• Re-grout small areas of tub.
• Perform minor repairs to VCT and replace tiles and caulking around bath fixtures.
• Install VCT in kitchen areas
• Flush low water cut-off unit as needed.
• Call Facilities Manager to order fuel as needed.
• Adjust heat control.
• Gain working knowledge of all controls and switches, and ability to troubleshoot in the event boiler/burner malfunctions.
• Sweep sidewalks daily and 18″ into the street from the curb.
• Sweep halls
• Mop halls
• Strip and wax floors
• Bag-up overflow garbage and clean up after sanitation men.
• Maintain roof, courtyards, and air shafts in clean condition.
• Hose down sidewalks as needed.
• Maintain sidewalks and stoops free of snow and ice, according to law.
• Clean and prepare vacant apartments for rental.
• Remove and replace broken appliances.
• Lubricate all mechanical equipment found on the project, i.e., compactor units, house pumps, boilers, and any light work needed on elevators.
• Install smoke detectors where needed.
• Plug mouse holes.
• Check vacant apartments on a weekly basis to ensure no break-ins have occurred, nor any damage to the apartment.
· Certificate of fitness required
· Boiler’s certificate required
· High School Diploma or GED required
· English and Spanish language sufficiency required
· 3 years previous related experience required
· Computer literate
· Hands-on action-oriented, detail-focused individual
· Commitment to, and enthusiasm for, promotion of Hope Community’s mission.
· Ability and enthusiasm for working with staff at all levels of the organization in a collaborative team approach.
· Ability to exercise sound judgment concerning crisis management, and resident relations.
Additional Position Information
· This position is subject to overtime pay.
Job Type: Full-time
This is a Union Job
Health insurance – Provide by the union
Dental Insurance – Provide by the union
Vision Insurance – Provide by the union
Paid time off
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org