Website The New York Academy of Medicine
The New York Academy of Medicine seeks an experienced Human Resources leader to develop and execute human resource strategy in support of the mission and strategic direction of the Academy, including benefits, compensation, recruitment, performance management, training and development.
Strong management, communication, problem solving and collaborative skills are required. A proven track record of success in selecting and administering cost effective benefits programs and, leading policy development and implementation for employee recruitment, orientation, training and development are required. Successful candidates will have experience in periodic benchmarking of compensation, benefits and employment policies, conducting employee surveys, maintaining knowledge of industry trends and best practices, and ensuring compliance with employment law and regulations. The Academy seeks a dynamic, forward-looking human resources expert conversant in human resources best practices and use of technology.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration, the Director will be responsible for managing all human resources activities for the Academy which has a $15 million annual budget and roughly 100 staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Ensure overall human resources management practices are in keeping with Academy philosophy, goals and objectives—including diversity goals.
· Annually review and make recommendations to improve policies and procedures related to personnel matters.
· Work directly with unit managers to assist them in carrying out their responsibilities pertaining to personnel matters.
· Develop and maintain policies, benefits, employee relations and training initiatives and procedures to support a positive work environment for Academy employees.
· Oversee management of employee benefits and pension plans including 403(b) and 457(b) retirement plan regulations.
· Manage recruitment, hiring, promotion and termination of employees in a legal and timely manner.
· Counsel Managers and employees on employee relations issues, performance and disciplinary matters.
· Oversee the Academy’s performance management program and make recommendations for staff development.
· Ensure routine and periodic training programs in a variety of areas, including emergency preparedness, fire safety, OSHA, harassment and others.
· Develop and monitor human resources budget to ensure that the unit operates within the approved budget
· Develop short and long range plans to achieve department goals and objectives.
· Work collaboratively to ensure that payroll and benefits administration are well coordinated between human resources and finance and accomplished in a timely way.
· Create and maintain accurate documentation for benefit and pension plans, employee handbook, policies and procedures and maintain up to date information on the Academy’s intranet.
· Responsible for developing the annual Affirmative Action Plan and filing the EEO-1.
· Participate on committees and special projects and seek additional responsibilities
· Perform other duties as assigned
· A highly experienced, well rounded human resources professional with at least 10 years of progressively responsible experience is required.
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to interact effectively with all levels of Academy staff and outside vendors are essential.
· Experience working in non-profit organizations
· Knowledge of New York City, State and other applicable laws and regulatory requirements
· A master’s degree is required.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Familiarity with human resources information systems linked to the payroll system. Experience with ADP Workforce Now (v. 13) preferred.
· Directly supervise two staff in the Human Resources Department
The New York Academy of Medicine is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org